Computer Museum news about computers, microcomputers, hobbyist, robotics, computing, Bugbooks, Computers in the Bugbook Historical Computer Museum collection, & amateur radio staion N4USA .

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Vintage Computer Intel MCB8-10 Microcomputer 1972




The Intel MCB8-10 is one of the first microcomputers using the 8008 microprocessor. I am sure there are earlier ones but this seems to be about the first one from Intel. I acquired this microcomputer in 1981 from my friend Robert (Bob) Stone. Bob was on the lookout for memorabilia to add to our historical microcomputer collection. I had known Bob for at least 10 years while he worked at Virginia Tech. He was also pursuing a degree while working.  In 1981 when he purchased this computer he had received his PhD and moved to the Sunnyvale area of California. There were many great shops in the Bay area for computer and electronic hobbyist in those days. The shops were packed with the early microcomputer surplus things from the local Silicon Valley   start up companies.  Remember the microcomputer revolution was only 10 years old starting in 1971 more or less with the first commercial microprocessor chip 4004.  The Apple 1 microcomputer only arrived on the computer genera in 1976.  The Bay area electronic junk shops were full of items any collector today would have absolute euphoria over and think they had died and gone to collector heaven.

Bob was able to purchase this MCB8-10 for me at the Halted Specialties Co., Inc in Sunnyvale CA. for $125.00.  That was a tidy price for those days but this was a rare computer even at that time.  The name Halted Specialties makes me think "Stuff no longer made or sold". 





The microcomputer MCB8-10 First Intel 8 Bit Development  System. This uses the 8008 microprocessor and was used to develop hardware, software and program 1702 EPROM'S for final product design . I do not find much information about this system on the internet. A few other collectors do have them in there collections. I  have several manuals for the system so it is a well documented system. I was able to add the MCS8-10 to my collection in 1981 and it is in very good condition. This is not the first Intel development system however it may be the first 8 bit development system.



 

 Part of control panel with switch register                                 CPU card with memory


This is Nate Cleveland , he works after school with the microcomputer collection doing data entry and web updates.  Nate ( High School student and part time staff ) is holding the 8008 system manual for the computer.  Our LCF Group employs 2 addition part time student office assistants - they are now in college however they started while in High School. These student assistants are a tremendous help with our museum collection and display. The photo at the top of my blog was designed by Student Intern Amber Ingram using the panel from the MCB8-10.
   
This video was made 3 years ago and I do think
my editing has improved.  The Intel MCB8-10
Microcomputer
 Send a Tweet'CLICK' hashtag #KK4WW if you enjoy the blog or have a comment



 
Dr. Robert T. Stone (acquired  Intel Development System in this blog for our collection)  worked with us in the old days of the "Blackburg Group" about 1980. He coauthored this book "Design of VMOS Circuits" with Howard Berlin.  Robert and Howard were authors in our "Blacksburg Continuing Education Series" and wrote several excellent books. 

Appreciate a like on Museum Facebook Page.

 This is one more hat I ware in addition to 'Computer Collector/Historian' .  Bernie Coveney on the left with CD master & me David Larsen with our contract- We commissioned Bernie to write, compose and record a theme song for our "Chantilly Festival Farm" . Bernie produced  great Bluegrass theme music and we will be using it on all our  Chantilly Farm promotional media. I  will also use it as branding for my video's in the future. I already started with my last video "Vintage SCELBI Computer". I will use it here on the blog when I can learn how to add music. "by David Larsen" - Computer Collector/Historian