Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Computer Museum Visitor 'Dr. Dave Filer' from New River Community College


 Dr. David Filer - IT professor from New River Community College (NRCC) in Dublin Virginia visited our 'Bugbook Microcomputer Museum'
1/30/13. We had a delightful time talking about the old computers.

Dr. Filer  and I are working toward having some of our microcomputer collection on display in the Christiansburg  campus of NRCC. This would give our Bugbook Microcomputer Museum a great location to expose a lot of folks to the history of these old microcomputers.

 I have had a long association with NRCC starting about 1978  Mel Mabry, professor in the electronics department at NRCC started using our "Bugbook" educational books teaching digital electronics. Mel also used the MMD1 microcomputer designed by Dr. John Titus in our 'Blacksburg Group'.  My association with NRCC continued for more than 25 years with my serving on the College Board there for 8 years in the early 90's.

Photos of professor Dr. David Filer from New River Community College in our 'Bugbook Microcomputer Museum'  Floyd Virginia.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing museum! Moreover, this only represents a small portion of the total in Dr. Larsen’s collection. If you are ever in Floyd VA, I highly recommend a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI David - Thank you for the nice comment. I had a fellow from over in Giles way stop in last week and he was really excited to see the old computers. Like most visitors it bought back a lot of memories from the old days.

      Dave Larsen , Computer Collector & Historian.

      Delete
  2. It seems so strange to me that we now have 'computer historians'. It still feels like just yesterday when we were getting the first Texas Instrument & Commodore computers in our homes. I can still remember the first BBS's back before the internet took off, (I need to stop because now I am really giving away my age! :-)) I love what you have done with your museum, Mr. Larsen, and I am looking forward to a visit. Have you made any progress towards the display of your microcomputer collection at NRCC in Christiansburg?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chentelle - It seems like yesterday for me also. I have been retired from teaching at VT for 15 years now. My colleagues and I were a part of the microcomputer revolution from day one. I started my teaching at VT in 1967. I taught 'Electronics for Scientist" - this included instrumentation and automation.

      No luck with display at NRCC - fire code and space are limiting factors. Dave

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and will respond.