Sunday, July 27, 2014

Vintage Computer PDP8S now up and running.

Bugbooks
info click
Here is an update on the Digital Equipment PDP8S that was hidden in my museum warehouse for over 24 years.


Click photo to enlarge 
Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
Lyle Bickley & his PDP8S



Lyle Bickley new owner of minicomputer PDP8S serial number 203 reports on 7/18/14.





Hi Dave,

I was chatting with Michael from the RICM and was about to ask him to
watch the video on your website of you finding and opening the box
containing the PDP-8/S you sold me. But I couldn't find it on your
website. - (Here is the link to video- & here is link about my visit to Lyle in California - Dave)

BTW: Since we last chatted my PDP-8/S has been up and running most of
the time. A couple of weeks ago, another transistor went out - and
memory began to fail. I found and replaced it - and now it's working
100% again. So far I've replaced a total of about 32 transistors and
over a dozen diodes.

I recently went through CPU and memory timings in great detail - and
now they meet all of DEC's specifications.

My 8/S passes all DEC diagnostics - and runs FOCAL w/o a hitch.

Bob build a cool I/O interface for the 8/S (and made one for me, too)
that emulates a TTY, high speed paper tape (partial), A->D, D->A and
incremental plotter. He does the hardware and I'm in the process of
modifying the drivers in FOCAL to support all of the above ;)

I hope all is well with you and Gaynell!

Cheers,
Lyle

David Larsen
David Larsen

Just great to have this PDP8S with Lyle and up to date running condition.

"by David Larsen"  KK4WW Computer Collector Historian   
   Join museum on Twitter   Join me on FB

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and will respond.