Saturday, July 18, 2015

Soviet home built computer arrives at the Bugbook Computer Museum

Bugbooks
info click
Bugbook computer Museum
Ukraine flag
I received an offer June 25th from  Oleg (Amateur Radio Operator UR8LV in Kharkiv,Ukraine) to send me a home built Soviet Computer from the 80's. I have several Soviet microcomputers in our collection but was intrigued by Oleg's offer and severel emails later the computer was on the way.
The computer arrived just 8 days later here in Floyd, Virginia. Oleg did an amazing job of shipping and getting the package here in such short time.

I have posted some of the emails at the end of this blog and you may find them interesting to read.

Click on photo's to enlarge
Bugbook compute musem
Soviet Microcomputer Package
Here are some photograph's  of the Soviet microcomputer.

The package was in good condition upon arriving in Floyd, VA.

 I don't know much about this computer but hope some of the readers will help identify the computer. It is most likely a Sinclair clone.
Video of this computer "CLICK"






Bugbook computer museum
Soviet Microcomputer


Nice packaging for this computer - made in late 80's.








bugbook Computer Museum
Soviet Microcomputer



The one board Soviet microcomputer.







Bugbook Computer Museum
Soviet 8080 clone microprocessor



CPU is Soviet 8080 clone microprocessor.







Click on photo's to enlarge
Bugbook Computer Museum
Soviet EPROM



Soviet EPROM or POROM ( Program once ROM).







Bugbook Computer Museum
RAM Memory chips.


RAM Memory chips.








Bugbook Computer Museum
Soviet military parts in computer


Soviet military parts in computer.








Bugbook Computer Museum
Soviet Microcomputer Keyboard

Soviet Microcomputer Keyboard.


I had some interesting times visiting and teaching in the Soviet Union. See blog "CLICK"




--------------------------------------


UR8LV KK4WW N4USA Bugbook
Raspberry pi 2 computer 


Here is the computer we are sending to Oleg.

Raspberry Pi 2 , Touch display,Wifi USB, power supply.

My wife sent the Raspberry out today 7-21-15. I hope it gets to Oleg as fast as the computer he sent to me. 



--------------------------------------
Email June 2015 - David's is Red and Oleg's is Blue.
Hello, David.

My name is Oleg (UR8LV, ex EM1LV).  I"m from Ukraine, Kharkiv.

Do you have interest to home made computers of 1988-1989 as component of history? :)
One of my client want to sale interesting model called "Leningrad-2" for chipest money. 

Comps not working for corrosion of board, but looks well around. 
Not so good inside home made case, but all interesting moment are ready to enjoing: Soviet military chips with gold, capacitors with tantalum, military wires with PTFT. And home made board. 
I remember that time as well: a lot of radioenthusiast had made personal Sinklair...

Well, tell me know about your interest, please.

Hi Oleg - Thank you - what price and how would we get the computer here to the states?  Dave KK4WW

If disassembled into parts and sold for gold and tantalum, then give about 25 usd.
And, shipping in USA by airmail (via Ukrainian post) should be 17 usd.
Totally: 42 usd.
It seems, not so high price. :)

But, i'm not looking for money. This is not my business :)
Ready make a radioamateurs change to Raspberry Pi 2 with TFT screen (of course, not so modern for high price- something like 4").

How about that?

Hi Oleg - the price is fine - My concern is will the computer really show up at my address?? the Ukraine post does not seem to reliable?? 73 dave

Good morning/good evening, David :)

Give me your address, i am ready to send parcell today or tomorrow with track-code. 
Our post is working well for reliable price, i work as manager of Kharkiv regional amateur radio society and sent QSL"s all around world without lossless.

73 Oleg

Hi Oleg - Thank you - I will get some funds to you when the computer arrives - I will be looking for the "Sinclair in Russia " story and hope you will allow me to post it on my blog 

Welcome, Dave.

I'm not very good at English. I hope that you understand the basic idea.

Sinclair history in the Soviet Union is very well described here on this page.

In short, the first clone of Sinclair made in Lviv (Ukraine) in 1984 in one of the secret research institutes.
There are the names of these men: Edward A. Marchenko, Yuri D. Dobush, Evgeny Natopta, Oleg Starostenko.

Then, the scheme improved in Leningrad (Russia), Rostov (Russia), Moscow (Russia), Kharkov (Ukraine).

It was a real boooom. I think that in the USSR, Sinclair have made several millions since 84 till 90
The main problem has been in detail. They can not be bought, and they just stole those who worked in military factories. There was a lot of plants.
In one city-my Kharkiv- it was located 15 electronics factories.

In early 2015, I thought of Sinclair. Just was nostalgia. And I tried to buy a sample. When a person is brought to me, I'm just stunned: chip gold, palladium and capacitors tantalum wire with Teflon. This is the whole history of the Soviet military radio in one product! A case has been made lovingly homemade. This, too, reflects the desire of our people to science.

I do not need this machine, and I was ready to disassemble parts and to return the money, but the thought of your museum and thought it was a fine specimen for you.
And it's a beautiful monument to the Soviet idiocy, when, instead of the right people pans, pots, microwave ovens, washing machines, computers, all the forces rushed to war production. In the late 80's just started the hunger ...

That's the story.


Hi Oleg - Thank you for the story -it is most interesting.   What do you mean by this part at the end??

By the way, parcell now on custom in Kiev ----  who or what is parcell ??
I need to find out how to translated the web page from Russian to English.
I visited Lviv many times from 1990 to 2005.  Have many friends there - Helen Goncharsky just spent 4 weeks with us from Lviv. Helen and her husband, Victor hosted all our meetings in Lviv for the past 25 years.
73 dave



Good morning, Dave.
In 90-s in the Soviet Union was a real hunger, but the industry continued to produce military products.
Were coupons for food and essentials things. You may see form of coupons on sugar, vodka, salt, meat e.t.c. in 1986-1993 
The people looked a new and designed the first computers even in such terrible conditions.

I know Victor and Helen very well: US5WE and UR5WA. :) 
It seems, they know English much better me and may help translate article. 
Another way is Google translator on-line. 

Parcel is parcel post with track code RC610549694UA. 
You have to get package a week or two.
Oleg


Hi  Oleg - The computer arrived in fine condition.  That was really fast.  How do I send you the funds ? I have your address from the package if I send the funds there.  I will be doing a blog about this good experience with you and the computer soon.
It was very generous of you to go to this effort to send the computer to me and I really thank you for sending it to me.
73 Dave
-------------------------------------------------------

Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
David Larsen
Roger Cain KI6FYF
L-R Roger Cain KI6FYF
Carol Milazzo  KP
MD4
Obtaining the Soviet microcomputer has been a very pleasant surprise.  I have been writing this blog for several years and this work has many interesting offers. I have sure made a lot of new retro computer friends and many museum curators. I have also had many out of town visitors and a number from other countries that have made the trip just to visit me and the museum. Just this past week Carol Milazzo KP4MD and Roger Cain KI6FYF from California made a special trip to the museum.

Radio Contact N4USA Dave made with KP4MD - Carol was in Puerto Rico operating 17 meters SSB , 3 foot magnetic loop antenna and 12 watts of power. KP4MD 55 and N4USA 57 signal reports.

           ."by David Larsen"  KK4WW Computer Collector Historian 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and will respond.