Thursday, July 4, 2013

Computer Mouse Inventor Douglas C. Engelbart Died Tuseday July 2,2013

The inventor of the simple but powerful computer Mouse Douglas C. Engelbart died on Tuesday July 2,2013. The mouse is the physical link that connects most people to their computer. Douglas invented the Mouse in 1968. He did much of his work in an experimental research group at Stanford Research Institute.



Douglas C. Engelbart

Here is the story as reported by the New York Times.

More historical information for the serious history buffs - This is 35 video clips made from a 100 minute presentation December 9th 1968 of the mouse and much more - when you go to this site it takes you to the bottom of the site it will view better if you  scroll to the top for short clips and info - from the Engelbart Collection in Special Collections of Stanford University.

I appreciate your doing a like on my Museum Facebook page
Thank you for reading my blog - if you like info, news and stories about vintage computers please subscribe or follow by email. -   Thank You.


The inventors of much of the computer technology we use today are passing on. I hope their stories are recorded for future generations. Their are thousands of interesting people and stories about these inventors that were able to 'Think Outside The Box' and I am fortunate to have known a few of them personally.

2 comments:

  1. I was sorry to see this. We lost a number of innovative industry pioneers over the past few years.

    Win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true and it makes all realize we are all getting older. It has been a real exciting time for me to live though the Computer revolution. My first contact with computers was in 1957. The Navy sent me to school at Remington Rand in St. Paul MN. I was trained on the the big Univac 1103 (I think this was the model). I have the photos and certificates of this in my office. I will do a blog about that experience as it was fun and sure brings back memories. "by David Larsen'

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and will respond.